Most people, including many highly educated professionals, know very little about the large world of cleantech and the growth opportunities it provides for students and researchers keen on building an educational or career future in cleantech.
In fact, very few appreciate that the world of cleantech is much larger than just renewable energy. In fact, renewable energy constitutes only about 15% of the total cleantech market.
Cleantech 101 is the first course designed anywhere in the world that opens students’ eyes to the various opportunity sectors of this fascinating, world changing industry and provides insights that are unique, useful and practical to take critical decisions for their further studies.
Cleantech 101 – Quick highlights
- Course starts: October 11 2014 (Saturday)
- Course ends: November 15 (Saturday)
- Medium: Physical classroom course and practical coursework including a brief internship
- Location: Nungambakkam, Chennai, India
- Conducted by: Professionals and experts from EAI, India’s foremost cleantech consulting and research firm ( www.eai.in )
- Course fee: Rs 8100 per head (excluding service tax)
- Limited to 15 participants per batch
Who will benefit from this course?
- Engineering students
- Energy management MBAs
- Students seeking to study abroad
- PhD candidates
This 1 month course provides answers to the following questions.
A dominant focus of the course is on renewable energy, though key highlights of opportunities in other cleantech topics will also be covered
- Which are the cleantech sectors that are experiencing phenomenal growth, in India and worldwide?
- For various streams of science & engineering, which are the corresponding cleantech sectors that hold high potential for research or career?
- How do I determine which of the cleantech sectors are the best for my graduate studies or further research?
- Which organizations and institutions in India and abroad are best for graduate and Ph.D studies in cleantech?
- Which are the best universities and colleges in the world for graduate programs or beyond on cleantech?
- Which are the prominent Indian companies in the various cleantech domains for me to do internship?
- What are the critical hard and soft skills that will provide me a rewarding career or research position in cleantech?
- What are the practical next steps I should take to enter the cleantech sector?
Cleantech 101 Schedule
Cleantech 101 comprises both full day classroom sessions and flexible internships.
Full day courses on the following days – 9.30 AM – 5.30 PM
|11-10-2014||Renewable Energy – Solar PV|
|12-10-2014||Renewable Energy – Solar Thermal|
|18-10-2014||Renewable Energy – Wind|
|19-10-2014||Renewable Energy – Bio-energy|
|01-11-2014||Renewable Energy – Rest of Renewable Energy – Hydro, geothermal, wave, tidal, fuel cells and others|
|02-11-2014||Green Buildings, Energy Efficiency, Water & Waste Management|
|08-11-2014||Electric Vehicles, Energy Storage, Green IT|
|09-11-2014||Pollution Control, Climate Change & Global Warming|
Specific components of what will be covered under each are provided in the tables below.
Internship involves the students taking up research on specifc topics and doing it under guidance from EAI experts. The students need not be present at premises during internship but will have to visit the EAI office at regular intervals based on pre-decided schedules.Students will be free to visit EAI and interact with EAI team during any time of the course duration. They can also use the EAI Library, reports and white papers during this period.
Domains Covered in Cleantech 101
A large section of Cleantech 101 will focus on renewable and sustainable energy, as that is where a significant number of research (and career) opportunities worldwide are opening up for engineering students.
About 40% of the course will also provide an overview of the non-energy domains of cleantech – water, energy efficiency, energy storage, waste management etc
Climate Change & Global Warming
Sustainable Pollution Remediation
Conducted by acknowledged experts, with hands-on cleantech experience
The courses will be conducted by directors, senior consultants and researchers from EAI(Catalyzing Cleantech in India) and India’s other renowned firms in cleantech.
These experts have consulted for a range of prominent organizations and companies over the last 10 years. Some of their clients include
- Central and state governments
- World Bank
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Aditya Birla Group
- Ambuja Cements (part of Holcim)
- ReGen (one of the India’s largest wind turbine manufacturer)
- Vedanta Group
…and over 50+ other companies and stakeholders.
Their research reports have been bought by over 1000 prominent companies worldwide, including Fortune 100 companies such as Exxon Mobil, Shell, Total, Mitsubishi and more.
Cleantech 101 – Format
- Detailed classroom sessions
- Industry expert interaction
- Demo/lab sessions
- An additional 2-week internship at EAI
- Certificate awarded
- Any bachelor’s degree student is eligible, preferably science or engineering (students currently studying in these degrees are eligible)
- All applicants will go through a short interview before being admitted to the course
- The number of seats for each month’s course will be limited to 15.
- Applicants will be selected based on their background and a telephonic interview, as we have to ensure that everyone who attends the course benefits the most
Rs. 9,100 (Rs. 8,100 + service tax).
All those who attend the course will be provided with a certificate of course participation from Cleantech Academy, a division of EAI
Accommodation and Other Details
- Candidates will need to find accommodation on their own, and accommodation and food expenses are not covered in the fees
- A booklet of the key highlights of the course will be provided to all the attendees